Aconitum napellusAconitum napellus (2)Aconitum napellus (3)

Aconitum napellus – One of the most poisonous plants

Aconitum napellus – One of the most poisonous plants.

  • Deadly dose: 3 – 5 mg
  • Death: in few hours
  • Poison: aconitine
  • Aftermath: heart and respiratory paralysis
  • Where it grows: in Western Europe and eastern North America
  • Occurrence in Poland: yes

All parts of this dark blue plant contain aconitine. The flower should not be touched (the poison is so strong that it can penetrate the body by applying a leaf to the skin). Poisoning does not occur often, mostly because the man has mistaken the root of the plant with horseradish or other root vegetables. Ingestion causes mouth burning, salivation, vomiting and fluctuations in blood pressure. In medicine, a tuber of aconite is used that reduces temperature in limited doses.

History of the plant:
In the Middle Ages it was used to poison swords and arrowheads. Teutons used venom during magical shamanic rituals, it was also a component of fairy ointments.

One thought on “Aconitum napellus – One of the most poisonous plants

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *